The New Photographer
From 19 to 21 June I have participated – in representation of QUAD Derby and Intellect Books Bristol, at the first UK National Photography Symposium in Manchester, organized by Redeye – The Photography Network, in collaboration with the University of Bolton and Arts Council England.
Paul Herrman, the Director of Redeye who brainchild the symposium, held an interesting session in relation to the figure of the ‘contemporary photographer’. First, he highlighted the big changes in relation to photography occurred in the last decade:
– camera ownership – digital imaging
– photography in the art world
Along these changes, a transition happened also in terms of old photographer / new photographer:
The old practitioner: The new practitioner:
– primacy of technique – primacy of ideas
– specialization – complementary range of works
– selected audience/circles of admirers – international audience/virtual circles
Read more via Coach Update
~ by Gary Austin on February 12, 2010.